When we examine the history of US foreign policy, we can easily come to the conclusion that over the years, the US foreign policy has done tremendous harm than good around the world.
From 1945 to present, the United States has attempted to overthrow more than 40 foreign governments, and tried to crush more than 30 populist –nationalist movements fighting against intolerable regimes. In the process, the US bombed some 25 countries, killed or caused the death of several million people, and condemned many millions more to a life of agony and despair.
Below is the list of Washington’s engagement from the end of WW-II to 2005:
- Attempted to overthrow more than 50 foreign governments
- Invaded unprovoked some 20 sovereign nations
- Worked to crush more than 30 popular movements which were fighting against dictatorial regimes.
- Provided full support to a small army of brutal dictatorships: Somoza of Nicaragua, Pinochet of Chile, Mobutu of Zaire, the Greek junta, Rhee of Korea, Marcos of the Philippines, the Shah of Iran, the Brazilian Junta, 40 years of military dictators in Guatemala, Trujillo of the Dominican Republic, Suharto of Indonesia, Hussain of Iraq, the Taliban of Afghanistan and few others.
- Bombed people of some 25 countries including horrific bombing of Iraq for 45 consecutive days and nights, 78 days and nights in Yugoslavia and several months in Afghanistan where the invasion and war is still raging. All these three countries had met the first requirement as an American bombing target—being totally defenseless. None of these damaged countries was ever repaired or compensated by the United States. Afghanistan and Iraq are the latest examples.
- Used vast quantity of depleted uranium, one of the most despicable weapons designed by mankind. It produces grossly deformed babies besides other horrific sicknesses including cancers. In a civilized world not intimidated by the US, it would be banned.
- Repeatedly used cluster bombs, another fiendish device designed by mad scientist, that has robbed many young people of their limbs or their eyesight’s and still continues to do so every day in many countries as these bombs remain in the ground.
- Tried to assassinate some 40 foreign political leaders.
- Interferes crudely and shamelessly in dozens of foreign democratic elections.
- Manipulated grossly, several labor movements.
- Shamelessly manufactures and spreads fake “news” and disinformation in other countries.
- Supplied handbooks, materials and encouragement for the practice of torture.
- Resorted to chemical and biological warfare or tested such weapons and used extensively deadly herbicides such as Agent Orange, causing horrible effects to the innocent people and the environment of China, Korea, Vietnam, Laos, Panama, Cuba, Iraq, Afghanistan, and Serbia.
- Encouraged drug trafficking in various parts of the world when it served the CIA’s purposes.
- Supported death squads, especially in Latin America.
- Caused enormous harm to the health and well-being of the people of the world by controlling the IMF, the World Bank, WTO and other international financial institutions, besides imposing ruthless sanctions and embargoes on other defenseless countries.
What is amazing is that US leadership in Washington, decade after decade, is impervious to owning such appalling record and continues these policies every now and then spreading deaths and destruction around the world. They don’t change! The policy continues.
Also, America’s domestic and global propaganda is so powerful that vast majority of Americans are unaware of this hideous record. Most people of the world at large are unaware of America’s sinister side as they are busy making a living. The global community, unfortunately, is blinded by America’s wealth and power, not realizing its ghastly deeds around the world. And hence we have defenders of America. Who are they? They are the ones who have benefited from the United States within the country or living outside the country and have callous disregard for the fate of millions who have lost their lives, are maimed or injured for life or have lost their dearest ones as a result of US foreign policy or they are simply unaware of the United States’ dark history of more than a century.
Yet, there are many who know what the United States does around the world. Win/Gallup International conducted a massive world opinion poll that was released at the end of 2013. Some 66, 0000 people across 65 countries were asked “which country is the greatest threat to world peace”, the majority of respondents (24%) around the world mentioned the United States as number one threat. The 2nd was Pakistan (8%), the 3rd was China with 6% and 4th, Afghanistan garnered 5 percent vote.
Despite such horrific record, there is no discussion of such dreadful foreign policy in mainstream US news media. Hence such policy will continue no matter a Republican or a Democrat comes to power as a president. Only the American public can force our politicians to change this policy of wars to the policy of peace and brotherhood amongst all the nations. But the majority of Americans are not aware of this horrendous foreign policy.
So unfortunately for the world, America’s policy of invasions, coups, and wars will continue unabated for a foreseeable future.