Vivek Umrao “SAMAJIK YAYAVAR/Social Wayfarer”
is an Indian citizen & permanent resident of Australia and a scholar, an author, a social-policy critic, a frequent social wayfarer, a social entrepreneur, a journalist and an editor; founded the Ground Report India and writes books on social issues, BOOKs.
He has been exploring, understanding and implementing the ideas of social-economy, participatory local governance, education, citizen-media, ground-journalism, rural-journalism, freedom of expression, bureaucratic accountability, tribal development, village development, reliefs & rehabilitation, village revival and other.
For Ground Report India editions Vivek had been organising national or semi-national tours for exploring ground realities covering 5000 to 15000 kilometres in one or two months to establish Ground Report India, a constructive ground journalism platform with social accountability.
Vivek wrote a book “मानसिक, सामाजिक, आर्थिक स्वराज्य की ओर” on various social issues, development community practices, water, agriculture, his ground works & efforts and conditioning of thoughts & mind. Reviewers say, it is a practical book which answers “What” “Why” “How” practically for the development and social solution in India. The book is in Hindi and will be translated in English soon.
150 beds community hospital and nursing college :
The community hospital was co-founded by Vivek. No application was applied for any grant to any funding agency. A team was formed to go villages to villages periodically (weekly & monthly) for public contribution. A few foot-marches were done by Vivek to motivate and for open talks with villagers for the need of a hospital and nursing college.
An open social institute for tribal community :
A non-formal open social-institute has been working for last five years for agricultural training, education centers, forest plantation, vocational training programs and local marketing of agricultural products.By this non-formal open social institute –
- More than 80 ponds in around 70 villages (2 acres to 5 acres area per pond).
- 35 farming centres in around 30 villages (1 acre to 10 or more acres area for per farming centre).
- More than 1,50,000 trees per year on an average are being planted with the motivation of open social university in Bastar region.
More than 100 SHG (self-help-group) were formed for tribal women and farmers in Bastar region.
- An unit of hand-loom with the strength of 27 workers.
- Around 1000 women are working with sewing machines.
Non-formal Gokul Social University :
A non-formal university was planned as the centers for farmers for training, motivation and supports. Vivek has been acting as the founding Vice Chancellor of this non-formal social university. Under his guidance many centers in many villages in various district of Bihar were formed.
Re-establishment of an entire village which was ruined by fire :
Because of a big fire, more than 750 family houses were completely burnt in the year 2007 in Khagaria, Bihar. Immediate relief and rehabilitation works were executed by the team co-led by Vivek and Dharmendra Kumar Yadav. New houses were constructed and supports for the self-employments were provided by Vivek, his wife, his family, his indian and overseas friends. Credits for financial supports- A.I.D. (USA), Dr Claire Jean Glendenning (Australia), Lia Darby (Australia), Vivek Umrao Glendenning, Dr Swami Vivekanand Yadav, Er Dharmendra Kumar Yadav and others.
Flood Relief Works :
- Relief and rehabilitation works in Bihar flood – 2008 were done exclusively in Madhepura, Naugachhia, Khagaria, Saharsa, Supaul, Katihar, Samstipur, Araria, Purnia and other districts of Bihar by the local volunteers team co-led by Vivek Umrao Glendenning, Shankar Agrawal, Abhinandan Kumar Jahanvi, Nagendra Singh “Tyagi”, Mira Sinha, Er Dharmendra Kumar Yadav Prafull Chandra Ghosh, Ramnarendra and others. Credits for financial supports- Asha for Education (USA), A.I.D. (USA), Dr Claire J Glendenning, Vivek Umrao Glendenning, Shankar Agrawal, Amla Ruia and others.Vivek Umrao Glendenning travelled in flood suffered areas by spending more than 10 hours per day in boat in high turbulent flood stream of the river Koshi for more than 8 weeks to cover very interior and untouched areas. Because of his visits of very interior areas, administration was forced to release money and relief materials within 24 hours. These areas were not attended by any NGO and government administration though more than one month after flood.
- Relief and rehabilitation works for months in the year of 2007 in Bihar were done by the local voluntary team co-led by Vivek Umrao Glendenning, Er Dharmendra Kumar Yadav and Nagendra Singh “Tyagi”. Credits for financial supports- A.I.D. (USA), Dr Claire J. Glendenning, Amla Ruia, Umesh Rashmi Rohtagi (USA), Vivek Umrao Glendenning, Prof H. C. Verma, Gopal Krishna (Canada), Dr Swami Vivekanand Yadav, Er Dharmendra Kumar Yadav, Er Rupesh Kumar Garg (MS, USA) and others.
- Member of the International Division –
The Chartered Institute of Journalists London Enland, the oldest professional body for Journalists in the world, was formed in 1884 and is a representative voice of Media and Communications throughout the United Kingdom and Commonwealth.
- Member –
Wikimedia Australia & UK, Wikimedia
- The Founder and the Chief Editor –
Ground Report India ISSN 1839-6232, is an international online & online-print journal circulated to more than 10,00,000 (1 million) persons in more than 100 countries.
- Founding Coordinator –
Local Governance & Decentralized Economy Social Group, formed in 2005 to work for Local Governance, Conflict Resolution, Social Education, Social Economy, Social Accountability and Social Ownership. This organization with its family of organizations and individuals, has been working in Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Chandigarh, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra and other states of India.
- Joint Convener and Founding Member with late Triloki Nath Purwar, Radha Bhatt (GPF), Surendra Kumar (GPF) and other – Non Violent Initiative, NVI: Non Violent Initiative, a civilian initiative based on ideologies of nonviolence for Peace, was formed in 2008. It is working for Conflict Resolution with Peace in Nagaland, Manipur and other states of India.
- Member –
Sydney PEN and International PEN, the worldwide association of writers, was founded in London in 1921. Today International PEN has 144 Centres in 102 countries across the globe. International PEN is a non-governmental organization in formal consultative relations with UNESCO and Special Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations.
- Zonal Coordinator for North & East zones of India (2007-2009)
Member- National Coordination Committee (2002-2003)
Member- Editorial Board, Sachchi Muchchi (2002)Asha for Education (in USA and other countries) & Asha (in India)
co-founded by Dr. Sandeep Pandey in USA in 1990. He received Magsaysay Award in 2002. Asha for Education supports Non-Formal Primary Education for underprivileged children in India. It also supports Right to Information, Right to Education, Right to Food, NREG Act and other activities & issues in India.
- National Joint Convener (2005-2006) –
Jal Biradari, was formed as association of organizations for water education, water literacy, water harvesting, drinking water and water privatization issues in India by Dr. Rajendra Singh, Magsaysay Award receiver.
(Photo Album of Jal Biradari 2005)
- Course Coordinator (2005) –
Tarun Jal Vidyapeeth (Tarun Water University), was formed in 2005 for alternative research and training programs in Water Literacy, Water Harvesting, Natural Farming and Environment. It had 35 students in founding batch of students from different states of India. It was founded by Dr. Rajendra Singh, Magasaysay Award receiver.
- Executive Secretary of the Secretary of the Trustee Board of Gandhi Smarak Nidhi to organise international seminar on “Culture of Peace, Participatory Democracy and Women Peace Force”, co-organized by McMaster University (Canada), Ottawa University (Canada), Gandhi Smarak Nidhi, Gandhi Peace Foundation and Others. (2005)
Gandhi Smarak Nidhi (Central), New Delhi, parent organization of Gandhi Peace Foundation, Gandhi National Museum, Rajghat and other prestigious organizations, was formed by Dr. Rajendra Prasad (The First President of India), Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru (The First Prime Minister of India) and other prominent leaders of India after the Demise of Mahatma Gandhi, the Father of Nation of India.
- Founding Executive Director for Education (2004 to 2004) –
Lok Nayak Jaiprakash Narayan Smriti Vidyalaya
This institute was formed in June 2004 for experiments in Formal Education. It was established at Bilari Sub-Division of Moradabad district, Uttar Pradesh, India.
- Coordinator– Girl’s Higher Education Program in U.P. (2002 to 2004) –
Research Education & Development Foundation (REaD), works for Education in India.
- Zonal Coordinator- Kanpur Zone (2003) –
ARANYA, ARANYA was formed to work for Environment.
- Education Coordinator for Centres of Education for children of migrant workers and founded more than 5 centres for MSSS. (2000-2002) –
Manviya Shiksha Sankar Sansthan (MSSS or MS3), an institute of Human Education and Science of Living, was formed in 1999, situated at Mandhana, Bithoor Road, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh. It works for ideas of JIVAN VIDYA given by Baba A. Nagraj, Amarkantak, Madhya Pradesh, India.
- Founding Coordinator –
KRITI (The Creation), it was formed to work for Social & Human Values with students of Engineering, Medical and Management. It was supported by faculties of Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, HBTI Kanpur, and Others.
- Yog & Meditation Instructor –
Yog & Naturopath Care Centre
It was formed in decade of 1970s by Dr. Santosh Umrao (Guest Faculty for Yog in Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow and other prominent organizations of India) for medicare by using Yog & Naturopathy.
is/was associated apolitically with
Association for India Development (AID)
Coalition for Nuclear Disarmament & Peace (CNDP)
National Alliance of People’s Movement (NAPM)
World Social Forum (WSF)
Asian Social Forum (ASF)
Indian Social Forum (ISF)
Jeevan Vidya (Understanding of Existence & Philosophy of Life)
Manviya Shiksha Sanskar Sansthan, Mandhana, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh
Gayatri Mission (Yug Nirman Yojna, Pragya Peeth and others)
Art of Living (AOL)
Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh (RSS)
Bharat Uday Mission (BM/ BUM/ BHUMI)
Bharat Punarnirman Dal (BPD)
Lok Paritran (LP)
Indo-Pak Peace Movement
Shiksha Sopan, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur
Samagra Shodh Sansthan
Peace Channel, North East, India